Wednesday, August 28, 2013

First Impressions Only Happen Once

If you make a good first impression the chance of a sale goes up.  And if you make a bad first impression, the chance of a sale goes down.

When someone answers the door, stand up straight and smile. Say your name and if you live down the street or are a friend of someone who lives there. This is important because then they know more about who you are. They are more likely to buy from someone they know than a complete stranger.  By giving them information about yourself, they are starting to know you.

Here is what I say after someone opens the door. "Hello, my name is Elian R. (I live down the street/ I am a friend of so-and-so....)  I am a boy scout with Troop 43 in Princeton and I'm selling popcorn to help raise money for our local scouts. (Last year, you bought....)  I was wondering if you would be interested in buying popcorn (again) to help support our local scouts." 

(Here is a version for people who bought popcorn last year: " Hello, my name is Elian R. (I live.... or I am a friend of so-and-so/I live ...)  I am a boy scout with Troop 43 in Princeton and I'm selling popcorn again this year to help raise money for our local scouts. Last year, you bought....  I was wondering if you would be interested in buying popcorn again to help support our local scouts.")

Good luck selling!

-- Elian

No comments:

Post a Comment